Thursday, April 10, 2014

On the road from upstate New York to Washington, DC

I love landscapes. Crikey, I can’t even describe the peace it gives me to look out on rolling hills or mountains. Lots of peace. I love rocks and all, but I think maybe subconsciously that’s what turned me on to geology. The lectures featured lots of soothing landscapes.
This post is a photo recap going all the way back to my journey here in late January from western upstate New York to Virginia through Pennsylvania and Maryland. (Technically the journey began with a puddle-jumping flight out of snow-laden Michigan to see my folks in New York, but that went without photo documentation.)

On road trips I always have this strange sense of loss as the landscapes pass me by, and it occurred to me that it would make an interesting memento to take a random picture of the road every 15 minutes.

Here is the result, chopped down to every 30 minutes. (With a few pics taken every 15 minutes when things got interesting.)  We left upstate New York around 11 am, and arrived in NoVa around 7:00 pm.






Ta-da! 

It was challenging, but also fun, to give up creative control and let the landscape speak for itself. There were a few highlights that we passed at the "wrong time", but it was an interesting exercise to let them go by.

Would it be corny to say that these country roads fill my heart up?


No comments:

Post a Comment